Need Help Reassembling Clutch

Started by Rosebud, December 05, 2022, 10:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosebud

I need help reassembling my non-verto clutch. I understand that the flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch cover have an embossed identifier (sometimes an "A") that must be lined up with one another for balance. I marked each one with a sharpie during disassembly just in case the factory marks were illegible. When it came time to button everything up I realized I had wiped off my sharpie marks, and of course, except for the clutch cover, the factory marks were illegible.

I had my flywheel and pressure plate lightened and balanced when my engine was assembled and there are balancing holes drilled in both. I thought if I aligned the balancing holes with one another the flywheel/pressure plate assembly would be in balance. Does this make sense? Unfortunately, when I fastened them together, the closest I could get the balancing holes to align is about 30° off, given the bolt pattern of the flywheel & pressure plate. And I don't know how the "A" on the clutch cover relates to any of this. Any ideas would be appreciated. I've cross-posted this in a couple of forums, so please forgive the redundancy.
Rosebud
...the sled, not the flower
https://www.facebook.com/PoserMotorSports

cstudep

Since you say you had the assembly balanced I am going to assume those holes are the holes that were drilled to get things into balance, and they do not necessarily line up in any way with each other. It's usually imperative that you reassemble things in the same configuration they were in if you want them to remain in balance.

The way they balance the crank/flywheel/clutch is by placing them on a special machine that spins the assembly and then notates on various gauges where (usually in degrees) the "heavy spot" is. They then stop the machine, rotate to the notated degree and drill or grind to remove material. They rinse and repeat this until the machine indicates it is balanced.

Generally speaking they start with the bare crank, get it balanced as above. Then bolt on the fly wheel and repeat the process. Then bolt on the clutch and repeat again.

All that is to say they drill where the machine tells them to drill and not necessarily in relation to any other previous drilling. That is why it is imperative that they be assembled back in the same orientation it was in when it was balanced. I do not know what if any factory markings are present to "align" things but if it was not assembled that way when it was balanced it would not matter anyway, you still want it put back together however it was when balanced.

MiniDave

If I understand your question correctly, you don't know where to assemble the clutch pieces in relation to the flywheel as your marks are gone.

I would NOT assume that all the holes line up together.

I would look to see if there are any witness marks left from having the parts bolted together before that could guide you. Failing that, I would take the assembly to whomever balanced it before and ask them to do it again.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I was thinking the same as Dave on this one.

MiniDave

Just for future reference, I use a paint stick on stuff like this instead of a sharpie......that way it's almost impossible to wipe off the marks....either that or take a cold chisel or center punch and make reference marks in the metal, then paint stick over that.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Rosebud

Rosebud

Rosebud

Update: I was successful in getting my new clutch installed. Unable to find any obvious alignment markings, it was suggested that I look for "witness marks" on the flywheel and pressure plate in an effort to reassemble everything as originally balanced. I carefully examined the flywheel and pressure plate with a jeweler's loupe. There weren't any dramatic telltale markings, but I did my best and seemed to have gotten it right. The motor is at least as smooth and vibration-free as it was before disassembly.

It took me several days to dial-in the clutch throw. The pedal is now right where I want it. There is a bit of chatter as I engage the clutch, but I'm assuming that will gradually disappear as the clutch plate beds in. Thanks everyone for you help.
Rosebud