Interesting videos

Started by Willie_B, April 19, 2019, 05:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I think the Karmann Ghia coupe is one of the prettiest car designs ever.  But with Beetle underpinnings it never was a true sports car.

Just add Porsche!  And you can hit the autobahn at 260 kph!  About 160 mph.  :-\

It's an interesting build.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Had to widen the track just a smidge, didn't they? Fun stuff!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

There is actually a lot you can still do to a KG with the more standard 4-cyl "bug" engine that will get outstanding performance without going "full Porsche" like they did.

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on March 30, 2020, 03:25:16 PM
Had to widen the track just a smidge, didn't they? Fun stuff!

Yes, but the body looks pretty damn stock.  They didn't go crazy with wheel arches or a spoiler or an air dam or anything like that.  Sure, it is lowered and has wide wheels, but that's about it.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Great video!  Am I the only on who thought about the ice and snow creating rust in that Mini when watching that?  Love the ending credits with "thanks" to Sir Alec Issigonis.   4.gif
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

Where can I sign up. Let's do a winter CMU drive. Just no campgrounds.

MiniDave

So, we'll all stay in the Mercedes?    :D

I thought the waiting for the tunnel door to open part was interesting.....

All you southerners will have to come way up north to find that kind of ice and snow......they used to run a big national scale rally in Missouri every February.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Holy Crap, there is a French version of Wheeler Dealers called...... Wheeler Dealers France!  ;D

It's complete with a tall mop-headed mechanic - a French version of Edd China. 

Sure, it's all in French, but the taking stuff apart and fixing it is the same in any language.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Interesting lift!  77.gif

Like Edd China, cleaning parts is not part of his motis operandi

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Pretty cool race.  No doubt there are some future F1 drivers in there.

What names do you think you will remember?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

I think you're gonna like this one.  I sure did.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Willie_B

I am always in awe of someone that can draw/paint. My mind just does not work that way. In this video Chip Foose draws an updated Jaguar E-Type coupe. I don't care for the final product. It is just how he can draw it all out and layer the drawing to show the details. Same when I see graffiti on passing trains cars. The colors and style and layers just boggles me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zue5wcYBB2A

BruceK

Lots of Mini modification going on here.  A bit of racing too.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Quote from: Willie_B on May 13, 2020, 06:54:26 PM
I am always in awe of someone that can draw/paint. My mind just does not work that way. In this video Chip Foose draws an updated Jaguar E-Type coupe. I don't care for the final product. It is just how he can draw it all out and layer the drawing to show the details. Same when I see graffiti on passing trains cars. The colors and style and layers just boggles me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zue5wcYBB2A

Chip is an amazing artist and I love watching him work, but I also didn't care for his final result....he said he was modernizing the car - bringing it up to date but all I saw was slammed to the ground with enormous wheels.The things he talked about - the exhaust for example - he wanted to cut out a section of the body and tuck the exhaust up into it - but that's where the spare tire is so that would eliminate most of that trunk area. Interesting that he moved the tail lights under the rear bumper - just like they did with the Series II cars but he used Series I lights. I appreciate his gifts, but this one just didn't work for me.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Whatever floats your Moke.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Interesting, I was looking for a hull under the Moke something like an Amphicar but it looks like it's more of a pontoon arrangement with a tunnel hull. I don't know that I would want to be as far offshore as they were in the vid!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I like the Salvage Hunters Classic Cars TV show.   It's kind of like Wheeler Dealers but It focuses more on little cottage industry shops handling modifications to the cars they buy than the actual mechanical repair of them.

Here's one with a Mini Pickup.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Mike Brewer helps build a brand new Heritage Mini bodyshell.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

John Gervais

Interesting right-side inner wing panel!  I've never seen one like that before -
- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Maybe that's for cars with A/C?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Mini racing!  Long video too!

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: John Gervais on May 21, 2020, 05:09:01 PM
Interesting right-side inner wing panel!  I've never seen one like that before -

Huh?  The one shown at 4:40?   Looks identical to the RH inner wing of my '88 Mini.  One big hole for the big fresh air hose as it bends into under the under wing area up to the dash and a bracket welded on it to hang the washer fluid reservoir.   I think it's typical for the Mk. V (post 1984) and later Minis.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I think he's talking about the vents, like for a radiator.....I seem to recall Jap spec ones being built like that. Or maybe MPi's since the rad is in the front, to give more airflow out from under the bonnet?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Actually, I think they did a left-right mirroring of the shell in the static logo shot.  Those are actually the radiator side slots.

I had a 1991 Japanese spec Mini at one time (1275 SPI based) and the right side inner fender was the normal one.  The fan for the a/c sat in the regular big hole for the fresh air intake for the heater on cars without a/c - no slots.