What did you do in your shop today?

Started by MiniDave, September 23, 2018, 11:30:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Did the same thing on my shift lingage a few weeks ago, and I know what I'm doing!  All you probably need to do is loosen the headers enough so they push out of the way by the lingage bolt.  At least on mine I had just enough room that they didn't need to fully come out.

MiniDave

After stripping all the bit's off Clancy's suspension parts I spent a couple of hours today cleaning tools and putting them away. I'm also gathering all the tools and bits I need to go down to Dan's shop and do some electrical work on the 66 S for him.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I pulled my car, which had accumulated 1000 miles of road grime being flat towed on wet and dirty roads, out into the driveway this evening and gave her a good bath.  She's clean and shiny once again.   Always a satisfying task.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jeff10049

Quote from: Jims5543 on October 07, 2018, 06:31:48 PM
My Pickup is in Jack stands in the garage, Wife losing patience, wants it done, I just toss the middle finger at it every time I look at it.

Ironic an Electric car sits next to it every day.

The punch out list is short, I am planning on dropping the exhaust to finish the shifter linkage, (thanks everyone for the heads up!!.... not!) then get it dropped on the ground and finish the back suspension and brakes.

I am just so busy at work when I am home I am flat out knackered and do not want to do anything, OR I have more paperwork to do.

Good news is my receivables at work at breaking records, I have not seen receivables like this is over 10 years!! My Business account is back to where it was in 2005 and my personal savings is the same.  So there is that.

Now to find time to play car again.

We are also off the charts busy how much help do you have I finally hired another office person and another shop helper so I could get back to semi-normal hours and I pretty much refuse to bring work home with me other than returning a few emails or something.

We could be doing even better but I just don't have it in me like you after a 16+ hour day everyday im done. Considering doing a business valuation and maybe selling it depending on numbers. Not sure what id do next.

If the new hires work out I'll be more inclined to keep doing it we'll see.

Now back to what did I do in my shop today.

I took apart the core transmission I bought for the 50 Chev project its a late model 92-93 700r4 they are automatic with 4th being an overdrive.

It appears to have never been rebuilt and all the hard parts are good I couldn't be happier very good core to get. I ordered an HD rebuild kit new, converter mild stall with lockup, a heavy duty sun shell they are the weak link in these transmissions, and a shift improver kit. Also had to get parts to convert it to mechanical speedometer drive.

Hopefully, it all be here next week so I can get it reassembled.

BruceK

I made an empty space in my garage by taking my car out of this afternoon.  Ran about 20 miles to get a burger with my wife.   Of course when I started out I had a clean car and the weather was perfect.   So it had to rain on the way home and get my car dirty again.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

Took the FJ Cruiser to the body shop next to my storage to respray the hood and one of the quarter panels where the clear is coming undone.

I picked up the E21 and replaced the alternator and the trunk gasket in preparation to put it up for sale. Ad coming soon.

I am waiting a week to place the ad since I am stumped by an AC abnormality. Once I sort that out, hopefully be weeks end it will be up for sale.

Oh, I gave the Mini Pickup the finger while I worked on the E21.... That should count for something.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MPlayle

Took the Moke and got the front aligned.

On the fronts, I had the caster ok, but the camber was too much negative (~ -1.5*).  They reset the camber to -0.5*, the caster to +3.1*, and the toe to 0.1* out (each side).

The rears were about right: the left was -0.3 camber and 0.15* toe in, the right had too much toe in and got reset to -0.6* camber and 0.13* toe in.

It is hard to tell the difference by feel, but it should be much nicer to its tires now.

Just have to take it to get the two worn tires replaced.  The replacement tires arrived today, so that will get done before a couple of shows this weekend.

MiniDave

I did a little ZTR work, the battery was dead cause the last time I used it was in either July or August - we bought a fancy schmancy lithium ion jump battery for Rose to carry in the Audi, but it was also dead when I got out there so I had to use the fallback jumper cables. Once started I mowed the acreage and got it onto the trailer to tow it home.

At home I changed the oil and filter, cleaned the air cleaner element, sharpened the blades and aired up the tires on the mower and the trailer. Checked the trailer bearings and then mowed the yard at the house. Then took it back to the country, turned the gas off so it doesn't flood, and covered it for the winter.

On the way home I got the bride's car filled up and washed as it's our 24th anniversary today.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Willie_B

tsumini

Decided to sell the house on three acre lot we have in Tyler and move to Bullard (20 miles south) to housee with 3/4 acre. Going from a 40x50 shop to a 16x24  dettached garage so need to eventually sell the 36HP John Deere 1010 tractor, a 1962 built. I haven't used it very much in the last two years and it hasn;t run very well and could qualify as a barn find. Anyway I decided to clean it up and get it running better.
So I loaded it on the trailer and brought it down to the local car wash pressure washer to clean off years of crud as it was being used as a working tractor. I was kinda thinking about evaluating it for a respray after cleaning. Photo shows after prerssure wash without the hood/bonnet/lid whatever its called. The fan belt was original and it had disintegrated so needed to get replaced. Believe it or not you have to take the lid off to slide back the fan shroud to get a new one on. It doesn't have the cutout the the mini has to slip past the fan tip. So i removed the lid before photo and cleaned it after tuning the tractor.
After a few false starts I got the engine to run excellently. Plenty of power and starts real well. Pretty much tuned it to specs, may have to recheck the timing but accereration and carburation seem to be right on. Idles at 600 RPM and WOT at 2200 RPM. It's a tractor.
I bought the tractor about ten years ago and picked it up in Alpharetta GA. I bought it as low hours. PO claimed it only had total 400 hrs (Hour Meter) Now the hour meter has a little more that 500 hrs. With that in mind i looked at the condition and concluded that 500 hrs. may be true. Very little wear in any component. Mechanically the tractor is topnotch. The paint condition is the major problem. A decent paint job would help immensely. To do it properly would require almsot complete removal of components, almost complete disassembly. I'm not prepared to go this route so was considering selling as a potential collectible/working tractor( as  is; original condition).
I have restored several things and have always preferred oniginal condition without seller adding lipstick(paint) to make it look good.
There is minor sheet metal work on the lid (creases and a small dent). Worst part condition is the seat. The original deluxe seat is cracked under the seat cushion and needs welding and new cushions.
Mostly it needs a good paint job.

94touring

Day two of extensive cleaning.  Hauled two truck loads of trash and debri out yesterday.  Rearranged things in the shop since I'm not sure how it got so cluttered.  Moved the pickup shell beside the clubby shell, then brought forward the one work bench.  Have an aisle between the clubby and truck to get to the back shelves.  Bumped into my air line coming into the shop and BOOM 120 gallons of air at 175psi came rushing in.  Gotta fix this now.

MiniDave

Replaced an old rotten broken door with a nice new steel clad one......however, I think my wife was right, I miss the windows. That end of the shop is very dark now, and I can't peek out to see what the dogs are doing in the back yard.

I really like a lot of natural light in the house and shop - I would prefer to at least have a row of windows in the overhead garage doors, if not some of those all glass ones you see at oil change shops. I do have one window in the side wall, but that's all.

It's also interesting that a door that measures exactly the same does not fit the opening the same, so I'll be adding some trim and weatherstripping to seal it up. The new door does make it a lot quieter than the old one - not only could the air come thru it, so did the noise!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on November 17, 2018, 09:21:54 AM
Replaced an old rotten broken door with a nice new steel clad one......however, I think my wife was right, I miss the windows. That end of the shop is very dark now, and I can't peek out to see what the dogs are doing in the back yard.

I really like a lot of natural light in the house and shop - I would prefer to at least have a row of windows in the overhead garage doors, if not some of those all glass ones you see at oil change shops. I do have one window in the side wall, but that's all.

It's also interesting that a door that measures exactly the same does not fit the opening the same, so I'll be adding some trim and weatherstripping to seal it up. The new door does make it a lot quieter than the old one - not only could the air come thru it, so did the noise!

So... I stand by my earlier prediction about a window being added to that door!   ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jims5543

I will be replacing the door handle on my Tacoma for the 4th time in 2 years next weekend.

It is a serious design flaw, the material where the handle connects to the mechanism is too thin and starts cracking then breaks.

I felt it starting to go and keep 2 spares on the shelf now,  this has turned into a routine maintenance item.

I went to pick my son up Friday morning, I was in his driveway. I got out of the truck with the keys in ignition.  When I went to get back in the handle broke.

I did not have time for this, the passenger door was locked and now I was locked out.

I took a hammer and smashed the handle so I could reach the mechanism and get in. LOL!!  The handle is toast anyway why be nice?

I am out of town for the holidays, will address when I get back Friday.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

ADRay

Not a shop, but the accommodations for this winter.
1982 Mini 1000 HL
@andyray998

ve9aa

Somehow, my very large main snowblower (13hp. 45" cut, dual wheels) got it's auger belt fraggled all up underneath the auger brake and off the idler pulley.  No idea how this happened, but I was blowing very heavy wet snow and some icy slushy crap can make it's way past the plastic guard and into this area once it backs up in the chute.  That's my best guess.

Got it apart, then got a part.(a belt)(lol)  Now have to split this beast of a blower and put the belt in the right place.

ARGH !  I love snow...................NOT
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

ve9aa

Somehow, I seemed to have crack'r wide open ! LOL
Mike in NB

MiniDave

That is some serious snowblowing equipment.....I don't think I want to live where you need equipment like that!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

ve9aa

It's New Brunswick.....we get SERIOUS winters here. We've already have more than a foot of snowfall and more than a month until winter even STARTS !
68.gif
Mike in NB

MiniDave

A few years ago the bride and I planned a weeklong trip to PEI and Cape Breton around our wedding anniversary in late Oct, as we were planning she was looking at maps of the area on Google earth and I pointed out all the "white" areas, she said "oh that's just sand"   ;D

I suggested it might be something a little colder than that so we rented a 4X4 just in case. As it turned out the weather was in the 50's most of the time and sunny.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Making a speedo that will go in the moke. I am changing the FD to 3.44 so need a speedo/odo that will work with it. So took the guts out of a 1280 unit, strip and clean and hopefully back together. This will go in a MKI face/housing. Took the odo completely apart to clean it and reset to all zeros. Needed several times to get it back right to work. Testing to verify it works. New jewels coming for the dial face along with a new chrome surround.

MiniDave

Where do you get new jewels for the faces?

How's the paint job coming?

Engine rebuild?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

The trans from Guessworks finally showed up so now Steve Gibbs, CooperTune, will build the engine. I was supposed to have it by last Easter!!!

Have a fair bit of bodywork to do as they sent me a MK2 shell instead of a MK1.  :-[ So will be awhile till paint sadly.

The jewels came off an ebay seller.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=282662066803