Pre-Verto Clutch in Verto Clutch Housing - Rubbing?

Started by SomethingNew71, July 05, 2018, 09:43:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SomethingNew71

Hey Guys,

If you frequent multiple forums you will probably see this post on a few.

So if you follow me on youtube you may have seen I am switching my gearbox up from an Austin America Remote box TO a standard Mini Rod Change box. With the swap though I decided I would keep the pre-verto clutch because its stronger and I didn't wanna buy a bunch of new crap. Well upon mounting up the flywheel, clutch, and diaphgram it appears the BACK(side closest to pistons) of the flywheel is ever so slightly scraping the housing. Has anyone done a similar swap to this and experienced this? Were you able to fix it? The bolt is torqued down completely for sure, and the clutch assembly is installed properly.

MiniDave

Weird, did you use lube on the end of the crank when you installed the flywheel, and if so could it be that you were able to push the flywheel on the crank too far?

I don't know of any reason why this would hit based on the parts you are using.

Depending on where it's hitting you might be able to do a little machining either on the flywheel or the housing.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

The only way i can think it is hitting is maybe too much end play (end float) in the thrust washers. Try prying the crank by the front pulley away from the timing cover an push it back if you have excessive movement there it could be the issue.
It is not making sense if it did not previously have the issue.

SomethingNew71

Update, I got into this last night and found that the 1300 AA flywheel was just a little fatter than the normal mini flywheels. The back of the teeth were ever so slightly scraping the first step down INSIDE the flywheel housing. I took my dremel and clearanced it a bit. The flywheel is perfectly flush with the crank big end, and the thrust spacing is definitely correct, as I measured it when it all went back together and shimmed it up some actually. I think the cast for the housing might have just been a tad fat.