Just ordered a Moke shell

Started by Willie_B, January 17, 2018, 12:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

Is the 850 air filter housing going to permit sufficient air flow for the larger engine and carb?  (Or is the engine remaining an 850?)

BruceK

Very clever.   And I really like the idea of keeping the old air cleaner for that original look
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

I thought about adding an extra hole two in housing but the is not much extra room available for that. I figure most of the time is just cruising anyway.

The new engine is a 60 over 998, so a 1047.

Willie_B

Got the spacer turned. At lot of my time is spent just figuring out how to do what I want. Now I need to find where I put the flat o ring that goes on there. I know I got some.

MiniDave

Man, I need one of those small lathes.......and room to put it somewhere!  ::)
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

The powder coater got it wrong. Was supposed to be black, not body color. He will redo it black no problem. What do you guys think?

MiniDave

I like it, unless you're going for the original look, I'd leave it. You can always change it later if you decide you hate it.

Actually , I liked it silver too.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

pbraun

The blue looks good to me - !  4.gif
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

Willie_B

Drug out working on the top but finally got it done. Flip it over onto the other cart so I can work on the bottom. Seam seal where needed then sand. At least it does not need sanding to the level of the top side.

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Are you using anything special on the bottom, like chip seal?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on August 15, 2020, 10:05:14 AM
Are you using anything special on the bottom, like chip seal?

I had not planned on using it. Not like it will really be used off road. Guess I will ask the body shop about it as all they do it customs and hotrods.

Willie_B

While the shell is upsidedown I put the subframes in place. Or tried to. The rear sub is one I got secondhand but new several years back. It looks like it was built wrong as it is racked more than 1/2". When I align the front the back part is shifted 1/2"+ to the side so not enough room to install the mount. Too far out to try to tweak it to fit. I suspect that it is not a genuine sub as the guy I got it from imported and flipped minis so I doubt he bought higher priced repair parts. SO, just ordered a genuine rear sub.

The front sub looks like I will need spacers for several of the mounts also. It is new too but it is off the same as another front that I tried. It would not surprise me if that means the shell is slightly off from what I had to deal with so far with it.

94touring

Wonder who made the rear sub.  I've used a number of knockoff rear subs with no issues.

MPlayle

It is most likely a combination of both the subframe and the shell being slightly off.

I had to do a bit of finessing mine when I assembled it and I used a totally new, genuine rear subframe.

I was able to finesse it by getting the front mounts started, but not fully tightened.  Then I used a couple of larger drifts and Phillips head screwdrivers to work the rear mounts into alignment and then installed the rear mount bolts and snugged them (but not yet totally tight).  I then went back and tightened the front mounts all the way, then finished up the rears.

94touring

I will say new bushings can create some hassle.  I've always loosely gotten everything started and then tightened down.

Willie_B

This how far off the rear is.

94touring

I see a close up of a subframe stud with something rubber looking on it.  Can't tell whats around it.  8.gif

Willie_B

The blue part is just covering the threads. This is the rear mount for the rear subframe. Shows how far it is racked to one side. Too much to force fit it. Another should be delivered Tuesday according to DHL.

94touring

Must be playing mind games on me cause I can't see where the trunion would mount to.  If it's not too much hassle, I might be interested in taking the subframe off your hands.

MPlayle

I think the blue covering is over the threads of the shaft for the trunion to mount on the subframe.

The holes in the plate directly under each trunion shaft are where the trunion mounts to the body?

94touring

Yes, but where are the holes on the shell?  Lol.  I think I see them.

Willie_B

Quote from: 94touring on August 27, 2020, 01:34:09 PM
Yes, but where are the holes on the shell?  Lol.  I think I see them.

The first pic you see both holes. Second pic you can just see a tiny part of the forward hole peeking out from the sub. That is how far off it is.

I did not see any shipping damage when I unwrapped after I bought it. I can cross measure it and see the difference there. The shell measures almost square.

94touring

Have dimensions of your subby studs?  I can measure against a heritage frame I have.

pbraun

Something off.  You can check dimensions in Roy Scott's book, I'm sure.
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )