Old Mini Adverts

Started by BruceK, September 11, 2017, 03:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Yeah, I really don't like my popup sunroof......besides rattling like crazy, I don't think it does anything to help ventilate the car. However, mine only rattles when open and it doesn't leak - so it has that going for it, which is nice.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I used to like them. I bought a new car back in the 80s and paid the dealer to install a popup sunroof.   Now I dislike any kind of sunroof and prefer a solid roof.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I do too, but the bride has to have her moonroof in any car she gets. I never open them but she does, even in winter......

That's one of the reasons I ordered my Clubman S, even tho they had a bunch in stock - I did not want a sunroof and they all had them......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Brit_in_TX

I had a popup sunroof in my first mini, and like Dave says they are pretty useless. What made mine worse is I think it was an aftermarket additional and you could feel the shell flex.

Every since then I have tried to avoid getting cars with them, if they do have them I never use them. 

The other feature I hate along the same lines is a panoramic glass roof! Even in the UK it makes the car unbearably hot, like driving around in a green house.

BruceK

Quote from: Brit_in_TX on October 27, 2022, 03:54:30 PM
I had a popup sunroof in my first mini, and like Dave says they are pretty useless. What made mine worse is I think it was an aftermarket additional and you could feel the shell flex.

Every since then I have tried to avoid getting cars with them, if they do have them I never use them. 

The other feature I hate along the same lines is a panoramic glass roof! Even in the UK it makes the car unbearably hot, like driving around in a green house.

We had a rental Fiat 500 Hybrid in the UK last week and it had a large fixed glass panel over the entire driver and front passenger area.  Fortunately it had a pull shade that helped keep the sun out but the biggest help for that was rain and cloudy weather!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Apparently this old ad is saying "A Mk II Mini can help boys catch girls".    Figuratively and apparently literally too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Switched on?

I wonder what they meant by that?

Jason Torchinsky (formerly of Jalopnik, now the Autopian) does a whole series on old car ads from the 50's/60's called "Cold Start"

It would be fun to feed him some of these Mini adverts....  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The car is RHD.  With the round bonnet badge and white relectors between the headlights and turn signals, I am guessing one of three sources: Australian, New Zealander, or South African.

BruceK

Dave, I think "switched on" is one of those groovy, hip 1960s phrases that Austin Powers would say.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

OK, this is not technically an ad for a Mini.  But it's for the Mini's older brother by the same father.

Do you think that is 0 to 60 time of 28 seconds with something to brag about. We are so spoiled now.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

But..............that was twice as fast!!!!    ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

I'm trying to figure out this ad.

I guess the message is: the Mini is small enough to deal with an emergency while you run to the public outdoor urinals in France?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

This ad artwork makes the headlights look nearly twice the size they really are!

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

ve9aa

:-X
Quote from: BruceK on November 12, 2022, 09:11:47 AM
This ad artwork makes the headlights look nearly twice the size they really are!
Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

BruceK

Back when the Mini was being marketed as a family car with room for all the kiddos.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Sure, the guy looks like a Bond villain wearing only white and holding a black cat, but nice, clean looking Mini!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Back when the Morris version of the Mini 850 came with a stamped steel grille painted white.  This ad is for the Mascot which was a model name used in Denmark (and Germany too?). Not sure why, but believe it had to do with copyright issues.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

LarryLebel

BruceK

Quote from: LarryLebel on November 30, 2022, 10:30:15 PMRHD in LHD countries?

I'm guessing they just used a stock photo for the ad.  Should have flipped the image I guess.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Looks like they sorted that out by 1978.  :)
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

ve9aa

Mike in NB

30 minutes in a Mini is more therapeutic than 3 sessions at the shrink.

BruceK

I agree with this ad's message!  Driving a Mini clears out my head.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

This seems to be a promotional photo or an advertisement.  But I have no idea what the message is.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

LarryLebel

The picture comes from an advertising brochure called "The Mighty Mini". I once had a copy of this brochure but it's long gone now.

LarryLebel

Said picture was the last page of the brochure. Another page had a picture of "An All Dressed Mini". I think it was a Canadian with the funky bumpers and the only "dressing" item I remember was louvres on the back window.