Lone Star Mini Restoration

Started by Lone Star Mini, August 31, 2017, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I really like that red netallic, wonder what color code that is?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: MiniDave on September 24, 2017, 03:28:14 PM
I really like that red netallic, wonder what color code that is?
Not sure, but Bruce is still down there.  He can maybe find out for you if you have his contact info....
Lone Star Mini
1982 Morris Mini 1000HL (heck of a lot of work ahead of me)
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

BruceK

No. I'm back at the hotel now -  where, based upon the way it is parked, a Smart car is trying to put the moves on Emma!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

BruceK

I spoke to the owner who told me he had to do some rust repair on that Mini when he bought it and he painted once done.  And I believe he painted it the car's original color.   It's really a 1999 Mini so, if it's a Rover color, it should be easy to determine.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Maybe, but didn't they offer that on new MINIs too? Seems to me it was a much darker color than that appears......

Edit: yes they did.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Dave.. here's a closeup of the color as I liked the wheels on this mini... 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

BruceK

Hey I recognize that building In the background - that's the MINI factory in Oxford.    A lot of classic Mini's were built there too.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Lone Star Mini

With a full restoration in mind, any tips on what holes are needed to be made in the shell before paint?  Our current mini undergoing the restoration is an '82, but I want the final Mini to be as modern as possible.  Here's what I'm thinking, but not exactly sure what I need to know before paint.
- Radio antenna - I believe I want the shark fin on the roof
- Wheel Arch Attachment - do I need to drill up these holes before paint?
- side blinkers (currently does not have them)
- New Cobra seats - not sure what the seat frames are like, but I expect they will need new mounting holes
- Muffler?  I believe I want a different muffler yet I don't know what I want nor the available options.  Either way, will they require holes?
- I now LOVE the 3rd brake light Bruce has.  Will that wiring require a new hole
- New wiring holes - speakers, and upgraded systems
- what am I missing?
Speaking of holes, do all the internal threads need to be covered or perhaps reamed out after paint?

So many questions...
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: BruceK on September 24, 2017, 03:45:45 PM
No. I'm back at the hotel now -  where, based upon the way it is parked, a Smart car is trying to put the moves on Emma!

Wow..  the size comparison.  How is the length compared?   So how did the name 'Emma' come about? 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

BruceK

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on September 24, 2017, 06:09:01 PM
Quote from: BruceK on September 24, 2017, 05:59:42 PM
Hey I recognize that building In the background - that's the MINI factory in Oxford.    A lot of classic Mini's were built there too.

My brain is fried from the heat..  may I ask what you talking about??    Speaking of Oxford.. here's three for you.. that my Daughter took last month during her summer course there...
Behind the Nightfire Red MINI that Dave posted is the Oxford MINI factory.  Technically it's southeast of Oxford in Cowley.    Used to be a Morris car factory.  In the 1960s they also made Minis there. 

And were your daughter's photos taken from Carfax Tower in Oxford?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: Lone Star Mini on September 24, 2017, 06:21:07 PM
Quote from: BruceK on September 24, 2017, 03:45:45 PM

Wow..  the size comparison.  How is the length compared?   So how did the name 'Emma' come about?

The Mini is of course 10 feet long - the Smart is about a foot shorter.  But it seems much bigger in  comparison – I guess mostly because it is taller. 

I'm not really sure how I picked the name. In fact, I've never named any of my cars before. And I used to think it was kind of goofy to do so.  But one day earlier this year I just felt like my Mini was a girl she needed a name. Had to be Emma.  She's part of the family.  Like a pet. 

Oh, and today I found out Tiffany's Mini is named Basil.  Daves old Mini was named Buzz.  Still is with the new owner too. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Lone Star Mini

[/quote]
Behind the Nightfire Red MINI that Dave posted is the Oxford MINI factory.  Technically it's southeast of Oxford in Cowley.    Used to be a Morris car factory.  In the 1960s they also made Minis there. 

And were your daughter's photos taken from Carfax Tower in Oxford?
[/quote]

She wasn't sure of the tower name, but she believes you're correct.
I'm impressed with your mini history knowledge. 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

BruceK

I Randy, I've picked up an awful a lot of useless Mini trivia over 4+ decades of being a Mini nut.  ;D

My wife and I took a tour of that factory in Oxford that's how I know what it looks like.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

When I get back home I'll post some info on that 3rd brake light.  No special hole is needed, the wiring can go through existing holes behind the rear seat.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: BruceK on September 24, 2017, 06:46:28 PM
When I get back home I'll post some info on that 3rd brake light.  No special hole is needed, the wiring can go through existing holes behind the rear seat.

Thank you Bruce
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Would love input from the Mini Wise bank..  while I do not have the center pole type rotisserie, I plan to attach my rotisserie in the following manner.  Would love feed back before I continue and possibly apply load somewhere I should not.  I realize the shell is approx. 300 lbs so I'm not terribly worried, but..   

-  First:  should I tack weld some cross members to the shell now or should I have already done that before I removed the subframes?  If I'm not removing any body panels, do I need to reinforce to prevent twist?
- I plan to attach the front rotisserie arms to the front subframe mounting locations as shown in the first picture - I feel safe with this choice
- I plan to attach the rear rotisserie arms to the locations where the shocks penetrate the boot (this is the one I'm a little concerned over)
- I had to do something today towards the mini restoration so I fab'd, sanded and painted the front rotisserie cross beam.  I plan to use the drop-off material as large area washers on the bottom side of the attach points to help spread the load.
- I will use Grade 8 bolts, but haven't quite figured out what size yet.  Tomorrow I will make the rear cross beam, but would love to know if  my path forward is acceptable.  Of course now I'm concerned on whether I should have already spot welded some cross beams to keep the shell from twisting.  Thanks in advance for any input!! 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

MiniDave

Unless you are going to replace large chunks of sheet metal you don't need to weld in cross braces, but...........the only downside to doing them is that sometimes they're in the way of the work you want to do.

The places you've earmarked for your attachments is perfect.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: MiniDave on September 24, 2017, 07:51:54 PM
Unless you are going to replace large chunks of sheet metal you don't need to weld in cross braces, but...........the only downside to doing them is that sometimes they're in the way of the work you want to do.

The places you've earmarked for your attachments is perfect.....
Thanks Dave!!
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

94touring

MiniDave

Dan, don't you use the bolt holes for the master cylinders in front?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Yes I do.  But nothing wrong with using the tower bolt holes.

Lone Star Mini

Quote from: 94touring on September 25, 2017, 08:11:33 AM
Yes I do.  But nothing wrong with using the tower bolt holes.

Thank you all.  I will continue forward then although my time this week is minimal.. 
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

Would anyone know who might sell these wheels?  I've looked at Huddersfield, mini sport and mini spares with no luck.  These are 13", but I'm hoping they are also available in 12".
Thanks
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)

Lone Star Mini

I may have found them although these are anthracite and 7x13
Lone Star Mini
1992(?) Mini Cooper
1964 Austin Cooper
1980 Mini 95 (Pickup)