Fire Extinguisher Recall

Started by MiniDave, December 09, 2017, 02:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

I'm sure someone must have posted it here already - but I couldn't find the thread so.......

They are recalling approx. 40 million fire extinguishers sold under many brand names, I checked and sure enough one of mine - made by Kidde - was under the recall. I went online and filled out the appropriate form and about 2 weeks later my new one arrived. Included were instructions on packing it up and shipping it back and a Fed Ex Ground label ....there-in lies the problem.

The instructions tell you to call this number and ask to speak to an agent - the reason for this is that they are considered hazardous waste and you have to advise them of what it is and that it's labelled correctly for them to pick it up. No matter how many menus I went thru or how many times I pressed "0" or whatever, I could not get thru to a live person!

There is a Fed Ex Ground center about 5 miles from me, I'm just going to take it to them......it will be quicker!

The new fire extinguisher is bigger than the old one, nice to know I know have a brandy new one to put up in the shop tho.....

Here is the link to check to see if you have one of the affected ones....

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Dave, thanks for posting this.  I learned about this recall on the news several weeks ago but then promptly forgot about it.   I appreciate the reminder. 

I called and Kidde is sending me 2 new extinguishers. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

My apartment complex is having to replace all of the extinguishers in the apartments.  I have an extinguisher for the Moke, but it is not in the recall - it has a metal handle.

SoCalMiniFan

Wow thanks for the heads up. 

I'm gonna check the extinguishers in all the relics especially the VW since that thing is basically a rolling fireball.
"If it's not fun, why do it?"

BruceK

I'm not too thrilled with how Kidde is handling this.   

I contacted them in early Dec regarding two recalled extinguishers I have.  I have received no communication from them even though they have my email, so they are keeping me in the dark.  Then this week I got a package from FedEx with one replacement extinguisher.  Still no mention of the status of the second one.

When I opened the box, the new extinguisher was covered with some white powder and its gauge  showed it was completely empty!  There was not enough powder residue in the box for it to have fully discharged in shipment (and the release pin was not even in the box)  - which meant some bozo thought it would be a hoot to send out a discharged unit.   I called Kidde about my defective replacement extinguisher and they promised they would send another one.  Of course there has been no email from them confirming that, no tracking number or expected delivery date, and no mention of the status of my other replacment extinguisher.

I hope you guys have better luck.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

BruceK

I am envisioning fire extinguisher fights between the workers on the loading dock before they send out the replacement units.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

MiniDave

Wow, I would have expected more damage to him with her swinging that thing from way up over her head! Pretty easy to identify him from the bruises on his back  ;D

Mine came about 2 weeks after I put in my request online, but I got no emails or tracking or anything either - it just showed up one day. I expect here to be issues with them replacing 40 million of so of these......one at a time. I just found another of mine hidden in a closet (real useful in case of a fire  ::) :-[ ) so I'll put in for another one. The replacement they sent is bigger than the one I returned.

The one on the left is the new one, the one on the right isn't being replaced, but that's the size of the one I returned.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

That video is incredible.  That woman is just not having it and she's willing to do something about it.   At least she didn't hit him in the head with that extinguisher like that because that would have killed him!

I received another fire extinguisher from Kidde this week.  It's a B-C one, so even though it looks different (red color rather than silver) this one seems to be for the extinguisher I keep in my Mini (and I guess this one is a replacement for the brand new but discharged one I received last week). 

I still don't have a replacement for the A-B-C extinguisher I called in at the same time about a month ago.  Since they don't communicate I guess that one is still on the way?   I'll try calling them to see if they have some sort of status...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

I called Kidde. After 15 minutes on hold with the same recorded message repeating every minute, I got to talk to a human.  I gave her my claim number and she sounded like she was reading from a script saying that multiple "extinguishers may not be shipped at the same time".   I asked her to confirm that another extinguisher was going to be replaced for me and she mumble "yeah".   So, now I know very little more than I did before. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

It did not.  I was holding out for its arrival before going to the trouble of shipping the other two back  because I wanted to make only one call for FedEx pick up.    I'll give it a little more time before I call them to see what the issue is.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S