HIF44 vs Dual HS4 for my 1275

Started by Armycook, April 27, 2017, 04:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armycook

Might be a no brainer to a lot but i haven't installed a dual HS4 before. I like the set it and leave it carb set up of the HIF38 and HIF44 and thinking about getting a new dual HS4 but i'd like to know any more pros and cons that some of you could share?

Currently I have an HIF4 Carb on a 1275 Austin America with Mk2 Cooper S head.

94touring

Twin hs4 is a lot of carb.  I'm going to run this on my fast road 1275 but a non modified 1275 you're better off with twin hs2s.  You gain some response and mid range torque so they say.  Here's a power chart for various carbs...

MiniDave

I think a lot of people go for the twin carb setup for the looks (I like the twin look too), after all most of these cars actually get driven very little. That said, I never noticed any loss of torque or performance from running a single HIF44 on either of my 1275's - one built as a fast road engine and the other dead stock. It all depends on having the right needle.

And I agree that unless you're building an all out racecar twin 4's is too much carb.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

If you want twins another vote for twin hs2 I had that on a 1275 and they worked very well. Twin hs4 is over carbed for all but the most extreme engine builds, even then they are still more responsive in the midrange with hs2's but you loose some top end performance with hs2's on a built engine.

Armycook

cool thanks! i frequent the freeways so i'd like to have a nice punch if needed when running 65-70mph