Tire sizes

Started by LilDrunkenSmurf, October 11, 2016, 02:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilDrunkenSmurf

Hey folks,

Toying with the idea of going to 13" wheels (from the JDM 12") for ease of finding tires, but I'm not sure what a good size would be.

Ideally looking at 13x5, so what tires would be good for that, considering the OEM is 145/70R12 or 165/60R12.

The smallest I'm seeing on tirerack and such is 185/60R13.

It looks like minispares has 175/50R13, which would be the same diameter, but is there a local North American source?

BruceK

Seven has 175/50-13 Yokohama A539 for $159.98 each and they are saying they are "on sale" at that price.  Hrrumph! 

Hardly.  You can buy that exact same tire from MiniSpares for £55.95 each.   At the current exchange rate of $1.24 = £1, that works out to about $70 each, or a whopping $90 cheaper per tire!!!!!

Yes, it will probably cost a little more to ship tires from MiniSpares in the UK vs. from Seven in California.  But no way is shipping going to cost anywhere near that $90 per tire savings. 

Four tires from Seven 'on sale' = $639.92  + shipping   

Same four tires from MiniSpares = about $280.00    + shipping

Hello.   

Why would you 'need' a North American source?     

By the way, I placed an order with MiniSpares Sunday night, and it will arrive tomorrow, just 3 days later.  That is super quick.  Granted, I did not order tires, but if I had, no way would it take any longer than getting them from Seven or MiniMania. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Unfortunately for many of the US suppliers, their current stock was purchased at older and higher conversion rates, so their costs to us are still up and not taking advantage of the lower currency rates.

MiniSport-USA is an exception as most of their stock actually ships directly from MiniSport-UK.

As for the tires on 13" wheels for Minis: the 175/50/13 is the only tire that will fit without rubbing on the rear suspension.  (((175 * 0.5) / 25.4) * 2) + 13 = 19.88" rolling diameter.  (((185 * 0.6) / 25.4) * 2) + 13 = 21.74" rolling diameter.

The 185 tires are almost 2" taller and thus won't clear the rear suspension mounts.

Also, most 13" installations (using the 175 tires) also require trimming of the front wheel arch for clearance to avoid rubbing as well.

BruceK

While a lot of inventory may indeed have been purchased prior to the recent Brexit-caused Pound's loss of value against the Dollar, that does not account for the tremendously high prices of MiniMania and Seven have traditionally charged their US customers as compared to prices of UK-based Mini parts suppliers.  (And you it is a virtual certainty that we are not going to see any regular retail price reductions at MiniMania or Seven tied to them buying new stock at the current lower exchange rates either). 

For quite a long time the main US-based Mini parts suppliers have been more than content to charge double what the retail prices are in the UK, ex-VAT.    It's just now, with the Pound devalued, the normally 50% savings in buying Mini stuff from the UK is even better.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I'm pretty anti 13s based on ride quality and performance.  As others have said, just buy from spares and call it a day.

MiniDave

I agree with Bruce on all counts, I've been buying everything for my car in England, I get quick service and reasonable prices....compared to the US guys. Moss has had some stuff on real sale from time to time, so I do check them also - I got a great deal on some 7.5" discs from them a while back.

175/50-13 on 13X6 wheels is the right combination - that's what my car has and they do rub a bit from time to time but only at or close to full lock.

I like my 13's, I like the way they look and I think they drive great IMHO.

Your mileage may vary........

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

roadhouse

I think 13s just look tits. I went with 13x7s with 175/50 tires on my build. 175s may bulge a little on 13x5s but they will work.

BruceK

I'm not a big fan of 13s on a Mini and I'm actually toying with the idea of going the other way. 

That is, ditching my car's 12" wheels and going old school with the classic 10" wheels. Visually, that is the best look for a Mini, IMO, especially when the car's ride height is set to take advantage of the 10s.   Those new alloy wheels in the shape of the steel Cooper S "holie" wheels with the chrome baby moon hubcaps look the business. 

http://www.7ent.com/products/10x4-5-cooper-s-style-wheel-aluminum-silver-swt0150sil.html

I realize I'll need to change my front brakes and get all new wheels and tires.  Not a cheap switch, so just a fantasy at this point. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

LilDrunkenSmurf

I bought my 12" tires from minispares (Falken ZE914, 165/60R12), and while they're fine, I was hoping moving to a 13" for more easily accessible performance tires. Skating around at AutoX on all seasons was humbling.

I'm located in Canada, so shipping from anywhere is pretty much butts. It's worse from the US, but the UK isn't much better.

There's a chance for me to get in a group buy for some revolution wheels for pretty cheap, and I had my eye on the 13x5.

http://www.revolutionwheels.com/wheels/road/minator-classic/41350H4AHR/

MPlayle

I seem to recall Talon Tire in Canada used to carry the correct size tires for 10" and 12" Mini wheels.

I know I ordered some from them years ago when the US suppliers were running short and the conversion rate plus shipping from the UK was not as good as today.

jedduh01

175/50 13's are a great buy from tires.easy.com

Nankings.

https://www.tires-easy.com/175-50-13/nankang-tires/as-1/tirecode/24454002

while not a 100% performance tire  they do wear GREAT and long and are quiet and Comfortable.

LilDrunkenSmurf

Quote from: jedduh01 on October 12, 2016, 08:18:06 AM
175/50 13's are a great buy from tires.easy.com

Nankings.

https://www.tires-easy.com/175-50-13/nankang-tires/as-1/tirecode/24454002

while not a 100% performance tire  they do wear GREAT and long and are quiet and Comfortable.

The falken's are already a good ride. I'm looking for something closer to an RE-71R, Michelin PSS, or HP/UHP summer tire. Hell even the Sumitomo HTR 200, but I heard those were discontinued. I ran the HTR ZIII on my STi, and they were a good tire for the price.

I regret not buying the Yoko A539 over the Falken 914 when I had the chance.

My biggest issue was paying ~$450 CAD for the 165/60R12 via minispares, when I managed to find a set of Westlake 145/80R12 for < $250 installed via tire shop here. I was hoping by moving into 13", that would make it easier to source tires locally, without needing to order from the UK (with how strong the USD is vs CAD, it's not even worth my time to look at the US).