Oil Pressure Line Too Long

Started by Pairaminis, August 22, 2016, 05:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pairaminis

I need to shorten the plastic tubing from my stock oil pressure gauge to the block.  I was just wondering if the current fitting in the line (seems to be just a press fit) can be pulled loose and reinserted into the tube without creating a leak due to the pressure in the line?
Jack

MPlayle

What I am most familiar with seeing for the oil pressure fittings are compression fittings.  These are where the line slips through a nut, then a ferule is placed over the end of the line (with just a very small amount of line sticking out) and then the nut tightens over the ferule onto the port in the block or gauge.  The tightening compresses the ferule on the line and in the port to form a seal.

The ferules usually cannot be reused.  To shorten the line, clip the old ferule off, shorten the line, install a new ferule and tighten back up.

A picture of your fitting will clarify if it is different.  Some types may be reusable.

Willie_B

Plastic will be okay but for a good long term line use copper. The kit is not expensive.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bgs-fst-7584

Vikram

I just put a copper kit on the car a few days ago. $15 from the parts store, much better than the nylon.
The ferule, as mplayle said,cannot be reused. Might as well buy a new kit.

MiniDave

I'm not sure I agree on the copper......I do agree that plastic can harden and get brittle and you do NOT want it to break, especially in the passenger compartment! However, these engines vibrate and buzz like crazy and I think that could cause the copper to work harden and crack too unless there's a piece of flex between it and the engine.

I prefer these.....braided stainless steel lines

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

I read that if you put a coil in the line, it removes the chance of it breaking. That's what I did, but yes ss is the best option