Removing ball joints,Moke with brake drums

Started by towjoe, August 01, 2016, 10:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

towjoe

My ball joint remover is stripped. What tool do you use ?
Help.
regards
towjoe 77.gif

MiniDave

PM sent

Sometimes you can take a BFH and put it on one side of the joint (the part the ball joint goes thru) then wail on it with the biggest ball peen hammer in your tool box on the other side, sometimes they will just fall right out.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

1 = threaded ball joint press (worth getting another one = you know it will be needed again)

2=  Pickle fork. (but prepare to damage the boot) (easily available at parts stores)

3- Heat + Picklefork + Hammer

MPlayle

The threaded ball joint tool available through Harbor Freight works.  I have one and have used it successfully numerous times.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-joint-separator-99849.html

MiniDave

Yep, I have one also.....mine has done a LOT of ball joints......still works fine, threads in great shape.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

I replaced my old one with HF threaded product.
Thanks all.
Regards
towjoe

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

Hi Everyone.
Success!!!
The HF ball joint tool worked just fine. Although I did not expect the amount of noise upon release. Both ball joints sounded close to a flywheel on release.
Removed left side today. Separated the backing plate from the hub. Removed the ball joints (kept the shims). Removed seals , bearings and races and spacer. Wire brushed and then cleaned with lacquer thinner. Tomorrow will degrease more with purple power and blow dry , with additional use of heatgun.
Then will paint hub, upright, and backing plate. I have removed the tube connecting the wheel cylinders, and plugged holes with wheel studs. Then hope to get a coat of paint on tomorrow.
Then reassemble left side.
Will update with some photos.
Regards
towjoe 77.gif

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

towjoe

Ball Joints , bearings and tie rod ends replaced on Moke.
Painted brake backing plate,swivel hub and drive flange. Color : cast grey
Regards
towjoe 77.gif