My various projects thread.

Started by 94touring, July 20, 2016, 12:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Bruce's modified tow bar.  No longer crooked and got to ditch the 8 inch long bolts for 4 inchers.  The previous tube spacers also had a lot of slop for the bolts to shift around in.  I use a series of spacers that overlap one another and fit snuggly over the bolt, creates a beefy mid section.  The spacers fit perfectly into the front end panel recess as well.  From there it was just a matter of making up some brackets to go with his tow bar.

MiniDave

Where did you find the spacers?

Looks strong now, should tow nicely.....is that the cross bar Justin cut out?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Merlin

Yep, I can see the "tescorp" still written on it.
Engineering the Impossible

94touring

Lowe's carries them. I could probably weld the outside sleeve together if I really wanted.

BruceK

It looks great! Much better than the old towbar arrangement.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Merlin

Quote from: 94touring on September 06, 2017, 06:02:26 PM
Lowe's carries them. I could probably weld the outside sleeve together if I really wanted.

What was the final length?
Engineering the Impossible

94touring

Decided to get fancy and weld on the washers to make one solid piece. Also easier to install. 

Edit:  and Justin the diameter is equally important.

MPlayle

When I had the tow bar support done for the Moke, we used 1/2" ID 'black pipe' cut to the appropriate length and welded to the backside of the support brace.

Welding the spacers to the support bar works for the Moke as it does not have the license plate brackets to interfere with installing.

94touring

Each side needed 3 washers for just the right length. It's nice welding them to the spacers because it gives a good foot to disperse force.

Door day.

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Okc car for Patton.

Clearancing side seals today too.

BruceK

My Mini is now appearing on the Home page?    Woo-hoo!  Hit the big time!  4.gif
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I've been bad about updating anything lol

94touring

BruceK

Just arrived home after towing Emma down from Dan's shop this morning.     By the way, she looks wonderful in person.     77.gif   Fantastic job!    And the new tow hitch worked.... well.... without a hitch as they say.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Have you tried the disassembly yet?

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Well good luck at the car show!  Maybe you'll win 1st place   77.gif

BruceK

Thanks!   I will share the event here. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on September 09, 2017, 05:16:51 PM
No.  I will remove it tomorrow.

The new towbar was easily removed today (other than some parts sticking together because it was freshly painted!).  And the normal front subframe bolts slid into place no problem - big improvement on that car

The only issue is the outer edge of the front tires rub the new flares when starting a turn.  Dan saw that was going to happen and relieved part of the fiberglass to help mitigate that but it's still happening.   So either I put up with it and see if the tires or flares wear away,  or grind away more flare material, or raise the suspension.  I really don't want to do that - the main reason of changing to these WP style flares was to be able to lower the car.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Raising the car up might not help, rather it just moves the problem down to a lower place on the flare.....had the same problem with Buzz....same flares.

Seems like the wheels are a little far forward in the wheel opening, but the only way to move them back will change the caster.

If you could shave away a bit more of the inside edge and have it not rub, I'd go that route

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I probably should have tossed a few sand bags in when I was doing my trimming!  I'd just cut more out.  I looked at mine at 0 dark 30 when parking on my way to work after thinking about our convo the other day, and mine are cut much further in and up than what I did on yours.

The other thing you may want to consider if you decide to lower it much further is taking a cut off wheel and trimming off the area where the wheel was previously rubbing the wing lip. The shiney area where it has rubbed is what you'd want to cut out.

MPlayle

What about the body shims between the front panel and subframe?

The caster is fixed to the subframe - that is where the control arms mount.  The factory often used shim plates between the front valance and the subframe to "stretch" the wheel opening for rubbing issues.

You may still have to do the trimming Dan indicates, but might be able to minimize the trimming with a couple of shims.

BruceK

Thanks Michael, but after all the front end panel work Dan did to my car, not to mention the painting of said panels, I don't think I want to try moving sheetmetal around.   I'd rather attack the flare and/or adjust the height.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

He has the standard later model spacers affixed to the front end panel that sandwich against the subframe when you torque down the eye bolts.