998 Turbo build thread

Started by MPlayle, September 19, 2026, 11:08:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MPlayle

Here is the start of the new thread dedicated to the build/install of the turbo kit on my 998.  The hope is to keep this thread on topic of the actual installation.

It was recommended to add an extra breather port, such as on the rocker cover, to supplement the single tappet cover breather.  As such, I found on ebay a "well used" cover from a 1959/1960 Morris Minor that had a factory breather tube.  It was quite rough inside and out - apparently been "sitting on a barn shelf" unused for many years.  It was inexpensive and I figured I could refurbish it.

Here are some pictures of the refurb process.  I forgot to take some starting point pictures.  The first four pictures are after using wire wheels on an electric drill to do the basic cleanup.  The inside cleaned up pretty well, but revealed three perforations to be fixed.  The next three pictures are after fully stripping all the paint and using JB-Weld to seal the rust holes.  The last two pictures are of the finished cover with the name/data plates riveted back on and a new filler cap.  It is not "perfect", but I am happy with the results.

1983 Mini Panel Van
2024 Subaru Crosstrek

MPlayle

As an experiment, I used my timing light to characterize the mechanical advance curve of my current distributor.

It is a standard 59D4 distributor with the Accuspark electronic module.

I disconnected the vacuum advance and ran the engine at different rpms using the idle adjusting screw and read the timing mark using my timing light.  The scale on my timing cover has a range of 0* TDC to 20* BTDC.  When I installed the Accuspark, I timed the engine as per the Haynes manual at 8* BTDC at 1500 rpm.

The results of today's experiment:

750 rpm (idle) => 4* BTDC
1500 rpm => 8* (confirms the previous timing per the manual)
2000 rpm => 11*
2500 rpm => 12*
3000 rpm => 13*
3250 rpm => 14*
3500 rpm => 16*
3750 rpm => 18*
4000 rpm => 20* BTDC

My diagnostic tach/dwell/volt meter maxes at 4000 rpm for a 4 cylinder engine, so I could not check above that.

The current timing being 20* at 4000 rpm appears to be right at the initial setting recommended for with the turbo kit.  One less thing to worry about!
1983 Mini Panel Van
2024 Subaru Crosstrek

MPlayle

Parts are starting to arrive!

1983 Mini Panel Van
2024 Subaru Crosstrek

MiniDave

Did you decide to pull the motor, or just the head, or????
Complete failure at retirement - but getting better!

1972 Mini Racing Green
1972 Mini ST hotrod
2006 MINI Cooper S
2017 Audi Allroad - Glacier White - His
2018 Audi Allroad - Floret Silver - Hers

MPlayle

I am pulling the whole motor as I will be changing out the drop gears from the 1.04xx set currently in it to an economy 0.95 set.

1983 Mini Panel Van
2024 Subaru Crosstrek

MPlayle

Just as a refresher, here are the main elements of the overall effort (no particular order).

A) Install exterior wood kit
B) Rebuild front hubs due to play/vibrations
C) Install turbo kit

Still being researched is:
D) 12 volt electric a/c system
1983 Mini Panel Van
2024 Subaru Crosstrek

MiniDave

#6
Post up what you find on the A/C, in fact we should start a thread on just that as I'm looking into it too for my hot rod Mini.

I had a guy bring an electric compressor over yesterday so I could see how big and heavy it was, and where I might mount it. My understanding is that they all draw about 50 amps on start up then run at about 30, so you'll need a healthy alternator to keep up - fortunately the one on the hot rod is 150 amp, so I'm good there.

I'm not sure but I think you can get one with a heat strip in the evaporator assembly too, which I would love - instant heat and defrost!

My thinking is to mount the compressor right up on the bulkhead so the hoses will be shorter, then I just have to supply power from the back. It was interesting on this compressor that the inlet and outlet for the hoses were on opposite ends of it. I already have the condenser but I still need to figure out the mounting, hose runs etc. I was thinking I would like to make hard lines for almost all of it, just a short run of rubber hose off the compressor. The one he brought also had rubber mounting "feet", and I would have to make a bracket to support it up on the bulkhead..

Not sure what size cable I'll need, the wires that went from the inverter/controller on this one only looked to be about 10 gauge. Seems like it would need to be bigger than that to supply 50 amps. Not sure on that yet. Lots to learn!
Complete failure at retirement - but getting better!

1972 Mini Racing Green
1972 Mini ST hotrod
2006 MINI Cooper S
2017 Audi Allroad - Glacier White - His
2018 Audi Allroad - Floret Silver - Hers