Stuck Pot Joints

Started by tmsmini, April 01, 2024, 02:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsmini

I guess this is just a run of bad luck. Diff seals were leaking and I went to remove the pot joints and neither will come loose. They were new from Somerford. I know there was a bad batch many years ago and I got one. Seven was able to press it off once it was removed from the diff with the side cover. But Seven is no longer. All I have done is bend my tool.

MiniDave

I use a 12" long brass drift and a 3-lb hammer - they will come out!  :rolleyes:

Put the drift against the outer corner of the pot joint and give it a solid whack - you're going for momentum and inertia here, not trying to break the joint. Turn the joint 180* and go again if you need to....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

I have the tool which has almost always worked in the past, this time the tool just eventually bent. I think the clip is jammed at this point.

MiniDave

Probably, but my way has always gotten them out without any damage....if you don't have a brass drift just use what you have - even a piece of angle iron will work. The key is the heavy hammer to impart a lot of momentum to the joint - you're trying to move it, not bust it up.

Good luck!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

This has worked well, but not this time

tmsmini

A little surgery with a disc resolved the issue. I knew better than to use the circlip that came with them, but I could not find my clips, so I went ahead. If you can bend them easily by hand, they are not fit for the purpose.

MiniDave

So, did you actually cut the whole joint off or just managed to cut the circlip somehow?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tmsmini

Whole joint both sides, just enough space. I did not do it, I had Nick at Boot to Bonnet do it.