Stan's 78 mini restoration

Started by stan360, September 25, 2015, 08:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Ha yeah there's an endless amount that can be done. 

stan360

Ha, you should see the pile of parts, new and old strung all over our house.  I have small parts  painting and cleaning project stations.  My wife is used to my projects so this is nothing new for her.  It is a slippery slope so I have found, and I think you are right Dave, fix up everything....I am already looking forward to getting this one tackled so I can hopefully plan another.

MiniDave

The real fun is when you get it back on the road and start driving it again...... 4.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

stan360

yeah...a mini. definitely going to have to do this again....I am having  too much fun. 

94touring

You know I have one for sale....

stan360

Oh yeah ! ....and if it isn't moving for you , we may have to discuss it when I am wrapping this one up.

jeff10049

Quote from: stan360 on May 29, 2016, 07:47:40 AM
I have seen a lot of variation to the color in photos....I think it is one of those colors that changes a bit depending on lighting.  But , yes I believe that it is supposed to have a brown tint ,,esp. in low light....very 70's .  I like it.  I photoshoped a small child out of this picture I found online and added my mini lites so I could get a feel for what it will be.

Yep thats the color very cool I like it a lot.

94touring

94touring

MiniDave

Looks like that works pretty well.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's like having an extra helper!

stan360

Complete refurb on the heater....Powder coated all the heater parts and had to straighten out and paint the switch panel bezel edges( which was a pain as I could not remove the plastic knob and therfore could not  remove the bezel....so I just masked it off  and worked carefully) and also  replaced foams in the heater and sealed the side panels with a bead of gasket silicone.....should be sealed tight and hopefully will work much better now. . The original heater core looked good but seemed to have a small leak somewhere so I picked up one of the these FVHL all metal cores as a replacement. The Smith's label sticker was easy to remove and reapply.

MiniDave

You're doing a fantastic job, this car will be mint when you're done!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Got a cill on.  Inside wasn't bad at all.  Cleaned it up and repainted it before welding it back together.

94touring

A panel welded in before I call it a day.

stan360

I was wondering if there were going to be  any surprises in there....the driver area had a crusty corner at the front I thought.  The under coating / paint on the bottom looked pretty thin also...probably fly right off.

94touring

Finished stripping the underside and roof.  Started cleaning up bare metal and sealing it off.

stan360

Looking good......like a new car.    Dan , I have some  parts I can either bring down or send to you for the subframes....rubber mountings and bushings , rear trunnion kit. ....A new steering rack,   Not sure what you need but I probably have it,     I also have brake line kit .  I am just trying to think of things that you could easily install when replacing the subbies , so I dont have to remove the subframes when the car comes back. I did  remove them to take out the original lines, but it was a pain and I don't want to risk scratching up the new car.   I am going from split diagonal brakes to front/rear split.  So would just want the one line across the bottom and routes between subbie/body instead of the original two lines  ( i can do all the smalls in engine compartment ) and there is the fuel line across there too. 

Also, you may remember, but in any case........can you weld up and smooth over the ashtray hole in the dash  , I don't know why they put that there....and the 4 little holes in the rear hump where the floor ash can was.

94touring

Whichever you prefer.  If you come down I'm putting you to work lol.  Do you have my mailing address still?

Haven't forgotten about the tray.

stan360

Still have your addy.  Will see how big the box is or becomes....  I might be able to  just bring parts when it gets  to test paint panel time ( 2 birds with 1 stone)  ....depends on if days off coincide.

94touring

I found a dupont code online for braken so we shall see how it goes.  Are you going to reuse this auto front subbie and if so should I repaint it along with the rear?

stan360

Yes on the front subbie....i have some mounts to use it with a manual  . I am replacing most of the suspension parts, but planned to keep the rear radius arms...if you are removing parts to paint the rear subbie, can you  paint those also if they are shabby looking. I will look at things tonight to see what else may be a keeper ..   also i have the 2 holes is the boot lid  that someone poked in for a US plate...please fill those in but keep the British plate holes.  i know you have seen the  color samples online for Bracken, they vary wildly .

94touring

Will do. To paint the front and rear subs properly I need to gut them.

Yeah the braken varies on the lighting.

94touring

Did you grab rear wheel bearings by chance?