Recent posts

The Lounge / Re: Freon costs
Last post by 94touring - Today at 08:57:01 AM
Quote from: MiniDave on Today at 08:44:45 AMI see 1 lb bottles of R12 for $40 online.....

Dan do you have a vacuum pump to evacuate and dry the system?

I do and 2 bottles of r12.  I have the replacement line to fix the one that cracked.  I just have never gotten around to it and don't drive it enough to be motivated. One day!
Last post by MiniDave - Today at 08:44:45 AM
I see 1 lb bottles of R12 for $40 online.....

Dan do you have a vacuum pump to evacuate and dry the system?
Maintenance and Modifications / Re: Jet height HIF 44
Last post by MiniDave - Today at 08:43:12 AM
I run a BDL (currently) or BDK needle in my car with similar specs......but Dan's right - if you put the meter in you'll know exactly where you're at. And I agree with Michael, mid range and WOT are where you want the mix just right. A little rich at idle doesn't hurt anything.

I'm not sure the jet height is critical, mostly you want to know where you're at on mixture and set the jet height to get what you're after. Needle size is more important. Jet adjustments are just to fine tune the mixture.
Last post by MPlayle - Today at 07:42:45 AM
Perhaps a slightly leaner needle?  All of the needles have basically the same idle stages.  it would be the mid-range and WOT stages that you may want different.  It can be a bit time consuming to find needle options that give what you may want.  Finding the desired needle through a supplier becomes the next challenge.

I use the "MintyLamb" site to sometimes visually compare needle profiles.
http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/suneedle/
Last post by 94touring - Today at 06:00:35 AM
Gotcha. 35 degrees all in is probably too much but you'd really need to dyno it to see. Mine stopped making power around 32 degrees.  Running 94 octane will at least help keep it from detonating depending on if it likes that timing in conjunction with what compression ratio and cam you're running. 

As far as jet height goes....install the damn wideband lol.  Till then you're guessing. 
Last post by bikewiz - Today at 05:39:46 AM
Quote from: 94touring on May 07, 2024, 08:35:38 PMCurious, why aren't you running a vacuum advance?
I'am. I edited the wording to "vacuum disconnected" I set the static timing to 10 degrees without the vacuum attached, most of the British guys recommend that as a starting point. With the somewhat lumpy cam this engine has, the Haynes recommendation of 8 degrees and 900 rpm idle doesn't work.
You also get tons of guys that "just turn the distributor until in runs right" I found a pretty stable idle with it set like this.
Last post by 94touring - May 07, 2024, 08:35:38 PM
Curious, why aren't you running a vacuum advance?
Maintenance and Modifications / Jet height HIF 44
Last post by bikewiz - May 07, 2024, 08:28:22 PM
So I've yet to install my wide band O2 sensor and gauge ( a bit of being lazy, not wanting to lay under the car, and not wanting to destroy the Jethot coating) so I've been trying a bunch of different needles in my carb. I have a write up from Keith Calver on the initial jet height to get the car to start and run of .060 to .075. My car starts and runs pretty well but doing plug chops to check the fueling it's running a bit rich. My question is; short of raising the jet height until it won't start/run has anyone measured the jet height from the bridge for the minimum height, I'm at .060 now. 

Some specs: A+ 1293, unknown cam, definitely not stock, good compression across all cylinders, valves adjusted, new HIF 44 carb with a BCE needle, new 65D dizzy, new plugs gapped to .032, new wires, the correct .9ohm coil according to AC Dodd , static timing set to 10 degress  (vacuum disconnected) idle set to 1000 rpm, advance of 35 degrees @ 4000 rpm. Also running 94 octane non-ethanol unleaded.
Last post by 94touring - May 07, 2024, 07:33:41 PM
I have some r12 on the shelf in the shop for the rx7. One day I'll get around to recharging it lol
Last post by MiniDave - May 07, 2024, 06:52:12 PM
Yes, but there is a temporary respite via converting to 134A, however your A/C system will work about 25% less efficiently, and it will take a while to get the car cooled off.