REC Watches made from pieces of Coopers

Started by Jims5543, December 28, 2014, 11:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

http://recwatches.com/product/cooper-c1/

Stumbled upon this on Instagram and thought I would share. Pretty cool.

The first line of watches these guys have put out are based on scrap parts recovered from classic Mini's. All watch faces are old instrument faces off of mini's they put the donor cars Vin# on the back of the watch. They run about $400 per, a little pricey but cheap in the watch world.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Merlin

They aren't unique enough for me to cough up that kind of cash. Especially since the movement is just a step up from Chinese junk.

Engineering the Impossible

Jims5543

I understand completely, I paused at the price as well, I think they are about 2X what they should really ask. I thought the used parts off of a Mini was cool as well as the cars Vin# on the watch.

I would rather buy a Shinola watch for that kind of Money, made in America too.

http://www.shinola.com/shop/watches/therunwell47-nylon-watch-s0101.html#color=THE%20RUNWELL%2047mm

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Merlin

I would be more interested in the watch if there was more patina to the face. For all we know, they could be scraping up metal from Lowes and slapping the same Vin on the back of the watch.

The Runwell looks good. Like the nylon band and the movement sounds decent.
Engineering the Impossible

Mudhen

At least you could take VIN and slap it on a Sportspack car and register it legally here.  ::)

I like it a lot...those Shinola's look awesome, too.  Guess the kids don't really have to eat this month.

Jims5543

If you type in the code:

'minis_of_insta'

You get 15% off the watches from Rec Watches.

I am trying not to be as pessimistic as Merlin (  ;D ) and decided to pull the trigger on one. I sold some crap on Ebay these past 2 weeks that totaled a decent amount to justify it. I think with the discount and shipping added in it was about $215 for the Minimalist.

Jims5543

Watch came in, I was impressed with the amount of patina on the dial it is hard to see in the pictures.

The do put the vin# on the back and how many watches were harvested from the vehicle. I honestly did not have time to go through all the paperwork and will this weekend. I think there is actual info on the donor car.

You can see the patina a little better in this pic, really comfortable band too, I like it, even if the innards are cheap, it looks nice and makes for a cool conversation piece.  As I said picked it up for a tad over $200 shipped. I was OK with that price, for some reason I thought they were $400 and that was out of line.

Jims5543

This cam ein the box with the watch, thought it was cool.

I feel a connection with this watch, I think it is the beer.   ;D

Mudhen

94touring

Jims5543

Interesting turn of events. I got an email from REC Watches that they are launching a kickstarter campaign to make watches out of Classic Ford Mustangs.

Coincidentally, my father is a Mustang nut and has a 2009 Shelby GT-H in his garage, why he does not have a classic is beyond me he owned a lot of different 60's models back in the early 70's.

So, funny story, I was shocked to see that REC is doing a kickstarter campaign instead of using profits from the Mini line.  Then I realized, the Mini crowd is a lot like the RX7 crowd, they spend all their spare money on the car and while I thought the price was a tad high for the watch, I did not think it was totally out of line for such a unique timepiece that marries being a Motorhead with watch collecting. I have been back and forth with the owner of REC watches via Email, and I just out and asked if the Kickstarter was a result of he Mini crowd not wishing to pay the amount asked for the watches, it was pretty much unanimous on here that no one would drop that kind of money on a watch.  I was right the response was lackluster at best and while they did o.k. they did not do well enough to get the Mustang Watch off the ground. 

Here is where things get interesting, they launch the Kickstarter campaign, and in 5 days reach their goal, and now have raised the goal with a second wave of backers due to the overwhelming response.  The watches will be about $1400 and the kickstarter offer is for 50% off or $700, they sold them out in 5 days.  They just released a second wave with a 25% discount or $1050 a watch and they are going fast too. Seems they finally found a good market with the Mustang crowd.

My dad collects watches too, he has some really nice ones and a LOT of really cheap gimmick watches, like a $50 Shelby Ford watch with a Cobra on it.

His 50th Wedding Anniversary is coming up and I thought a 60's Mustang watch would be a great gift for him.

I think the watches are stunning, the gauge at the top shows how much life the winding has left it will be changed to show F and E like a gas gauge but will leave the power reserve title in it.

Just like the Mini Watches a copy of the title and a story about the car will be included in the gift box.

The back looks like a hubcap off a 60's Mustang.

The one side looks like the tail lights off a 60's Mustang.

While not for everyone, I think this is an amazing idea and a very unique watch made from a recycled car.

Mudhen