Vikram's 1960

Started by 94touring, May 15, 2016, 11:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Gervais

Quote from: 94touring on October 16, 2016, 04:03:28 AM
I should add he's equipped with a specially designed throttle cable guide that feeds the cable through the firewall.  For whatever reason the left side of his car didnt have the little guide piece that the cable end fits into.  It was a pita.

Might have fitted one of these cable guides through the firewall, t'would be easy.

www.holden.co.uk
- Pave the Bay -

94touring

Mines similar but better. 

Vikram

Alright alright alright!
Yeah I see what you did with the throttle cable. Dan I'll let you know when those few parts are scheduled to arrive, once I know.
Could you take a video of one of your test drives, I'm pretty excited too.

MiniDave

Yep, I think we all would like to see a dash cam vid or something of this car moving under it's own power!

Vikram do you have a garage to park it in during the winter or will it have to sit outside?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

I do not have a garage, I have access to a private parking lot. I've been looking into renting a garage with a few of my friends, but that's still in the works. I was considering just a building a shelter in the parking lot to keep the car protected.

MiniDave

Well, it wouldn't be the first Mini that spent it's winter outside (my 62 Cooper always did) and you know the body's in good shape and will handle it OK, but it does make it tough to work on it when it's freezing ass cold out!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Finally got this thing up and running enough to take for a test drive, albeit with no glass, doors, boot, or bonnet.  The weight reduction and lack of wind resistance made it damn fast feeling, at least compared to my 998.  Still some final touches to be made.  Spent a lot of time fiddling with various odds n ends...like every brake fitting leaking fluid...thanks Vikram lol.  Still some adjustments to be made since the rears lock up making it a sweet drift car.  I probably drifted it into my driveway once I discovered this.  Being left hand drive required cone filters rather than the filter mod I have on my car but looks really slick either way.

MiniDave

You need to shoot some video of this - in car camera type would be fun!  71.gif

Vikram, you going to come visit your car over the holidays?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

Sorry about the brakes Dan,I know I messed the driver's side wheel hose .....
I'm also guessing the new discs need to be bed in before they are up to full stopping power?
Glad to hear its got decent performance; I'm hoping even with the other bits on it should still be pretty quick. I can't believe you managed to drive it in such cold weather with nothing on lol.
Sadly, I will not be visiting the car over winter break, but I can't wait to see it in person.
A video of you throwing it around would be pretty fun  77.gif

94touring

It was kinda humorous.  Start to bleed them and the front right t fitting spews out fluid, which turned out to be bad copper washers.  Get that in and notice a leak on the front left, which turned into a big fiasco.  Kept loosing pressure so back to the rears to adjust drums and noted leaks on both hard lines where it meets the braided lines  :-[   Also the left rear drum adjust knob was seized bad enough I ended up welding a bead on it to clamp with the vise grips.  There was much cussing to be had that day.

Vikram

Glad its fixed. Does it stop well, apart from trying to spin?
When I had it, there was a lot of air in the system, and I nearly rolled right through a red light. That's when I took it off the road for good lol.

94touring

Oh it stops. Just too much in the rear.

94touring

MiniDave

Cool, maybe next time I'm down your way or you're up here I can talk you into changing out the chrome strips on the front and rear windows on my car?

Looks like you still need to do some polish work on Vikram's car?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

Nice!
Do you still have the registration sticker that was on the windshield? I can't tell from the photo

94touring

Sure thing Dave.  Yeah needs buffed.

The tags were scraped off so hope you didn't need them!

Vikram

Damn, one was an invalid inspection which is fine. The other was NY registration, which I do need. I hope I can get it reissued without too much difficulty. The car was registered incorrectly under 63 instead of 60, so that needs to be fixed anyway

Vikram

No worries, seems like it can be done easily at the DMV (if that's ever possible), as it's just the windshield sticker

94touring

I saw the 63 as I scraped it off lol. Yeah sorry, figured it was expired or will be by time it's on the road.

94touring

Promised Vikram I'd have this done this week, of course that didn't happen. However I did solve the rear brakes locking up problem and also stumbled across his water pump going bad. I heard the belt squealing then noticed the pulley was wobbling something fierce.  Turned out to be the water pump shaft.

John Gervais

I don't know if you've noticed or if it applies to Vikram's mini, but the small steel pulleys don't fit the new MSC Evo pumps.
- Pave the Bay -

Vikram

Getting closer and closer...
Out of interest where did you put the adjustable regulator?

94touring

In the rear prior to the T. It's easy to access too.

MiniDave

Hey Vikram, how's school going? When is your semester over? We're done mid May.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Vikram

School's going pretty well, been a busy semester...I end in early May
Looking forward to driving the mini over the summer though, been thinking of what else I could do to it.